4 Reasons You Need UM/UIM

July 12, 2018

Whether or not to purchase Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists (“UM/UIM”) Insurance is a question that many of us have asked. If you are like me, you want to keep costs down and spend no more than necessary to legally operate your vehicle. However, I strongly encourage you to consider UM/UIM coverage if you reside in Louisiana. To be quite honest, you cannot afford to be without it.
While it may be tempting to only purchase liability or the minimum requirements, please carefully weigh your options before making a decision. Louisiana requires vehicle owners to carry minimum policy limits in the amounts of $15,000 in bodily injury per person, $30,000 in bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 in property damage. Keep in mind that this minimum requirement policy is not in place to cover your property damage or injuries. It is designed to protect victims of accidents caused by you. Explained below are 4 reasons that you need UM/UIM coverage.
If you are the victim of an auto accident caused by another person, then that person’s policy can be used to pay for your injuries and property damage. In a perfect world, everybody would have insurance, but we know that a perfect world is not always our reality. The reality of our situation is that too often, people either do not purchase insurance or they let their policies lapse. When you are injured in an accident and the at-fault party does not have insurance, your UM can be used to pay for your medical treatment.
Secondly, even if a person has insurance, there is always the possibility that they do not have enough to cover your medical expenses if you are seriously injured. UIM coverage is needed to protect you in the unfortunate event that this happens to you. In this instance, UIM would kick in and cover your expenses after the at-fault’s policy limits have been exhausted.
UM can also be helpful if you are ever the victim of a hit and run. If you are injured in an accident and the at-fault driver flees the scene and is never caught, your UM can cover your damages. UM also provides coverage for your injuries if the at-fault hit and run driver is found and has no insurance.
Finally, UM/UIM can provide coverage for your injuries even if you are not in your vehicle when injured by the driver of an uninsured/underinsured vehicle. For example, if you are a pedestrian, bike rider, or just a passenger in another vehicle and are hit by an uninsured/underinsured driver, UM/UIM can cover your injuries.
If you would like additional information or have any questions, please contact The Law Firm of Mesa B. Jefferson, LLC at (225) 706-8447 or at www.attorneymesbjefferson.com.

*Disclaimer- The information contained within this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. You are not establishing an attorney/client relationship by contacting Mesa Jefferson via website, phone, or email or by using information from this website.